RubyWeatherford

Book Connoisseur

Broken Pieces

Broken Pieces - Rachel  Thompson Did the plot pull you in or did you feel you had to force yourself to read the book? There wasn't a conventional plot. The book consists of short chapters about the author's life. I didn't feel forced to keep reading but I could not relate to all chapters as much as I would have liked to. This is not a reflection on the author's writing, my experiences are simply different from hers.

How realistic was the characterization? The chapters are real, the 'characters' in her life are seen from her perspective. The reader is left to interpret what their voices say.

What are some of the book's themes? Moving on. Some of us at the book club felt the way she stressed on the past was a sign she was letting the present slip by unnoticed. But I was under the impression that this book is her way of letting go of the past and moving on.

Did the book end the way you expected? It had a consistent voice which I liked very much and the editing was excellent compared to some other self-published books we have been reading.

Disclosure - I received a complimentary copy from the author which did not affect my honest opinion.